This was one of our favourites during our time in Thailand. We discovered this excellent little food stall in Sukhumvit Soi 38 and returned a few times to savour their delicious Duck Noodle soup. So, I decided to add a recipe of this delectable soup on my blog.
What you need
- 1 roast duck (store-bought or pre-roasted)
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1- 2 Tbsp Cinnamon powder
- 2 star anise
- 3 cloves
- fresh coriander, finely chopped (keep some to serve)
- a good few black peppercorn
- salt to taste
- 2 litres of water
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 kg fresh rice noodles
- 1 bunch of bok choy, washed and cut
- Coriander leaves, chopped
- Vinegar chilli sauce (optional)
1) Debone the roast duck and slice the meat into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
2) Heat the oil in a large pot and fry the garlic, cinnamon, star anise, cloves for 3 min until garlic caramelises. Add coriander and black peppercorns and fry for 1 minute. Add the roast duck meat. Add the water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 40 min.
3) Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to the boil and blanch the vegetables. Set aside.
4) Blanch the rice noodles for about 1 minute or until softened. Drain and place into individual serving bowls along with some vegetables.
5) Add some duck soup into the bowls and garnish with duck meat. Add the chopped coriander and optionally serve with vinegar chilli sauce.