Rice Biryani is a very popular dish in India. This recipe was passed on to me by Reetha – a Brahmin woman who leads a cooking class in Jodhpur. It has plenty of ingredients and plenty of flavours. A very simple dish which is incredibly delicious!
What you need
Serves approx. 4-5
- 1 Potato chopped into cubes
- 1 Onion sliced
- 1/2 green chilli chopped
- 50 gram sod green peas
- 2cm of Ginger peeled & chopped
- 1/2 Cabbage (small) chopped
- 1 Carrot peeled & sliced
- 1 Capscicum cut in cubes
- Handful of Cashewnuts
- Handful of Raisins
- 1 Pomegranate
- 1 Apple peeled & chopped
- 1 Tomato
- Handful of Cordiander leaves
- 1 glass of Basmati Rice
- 2 glasses of Water
- 2 TBSP of Cooking Oil
- 1 pinch of Asafoetida (Hing) spice
- 1/2 teaspoon of Cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of Mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of Garam Masala
- 1/2 teaspoon of Turmeric
- 1/4 spoon of Red Chilli powder
- optional: edible Silver leaves
1)Heat the oil up in a pan and sprinkle the Asafoetida, Cumin Seeds, Mustard seeds and Garam Masala into it.
2) Add Cashewnuts, green chilli, ginger, garlic, potatoes, onions, green peas, cabbage, carrot and capsicum. Stir well.
3) Add rice, salt, turmeric, red chilli powder. Stir well.
4) Add 2 glasses of water. Stir and cover with a lid. Cook for 10 minutes approximately. Check if the rice is cooked – add more water if necessary.
5) Serve it on a big plate and decorate with tomatoes, raisins, pomegranate, apple, coriander and serve hot. Traditionally, you should put some edible silver leaves on top (if you can find it in a speciality store).