Mango and Sticky Rice is a must-try when in Thailand and probably one of the best desserts I had on my world trip. Make sure to soak the rice overnight. It takes about 45 min to prepare. Highly addictive! I warned you…
What you need
- 300g Sushi rice (or alternative ‘sticky’ rice)
- 300ml coconut milk
- pinch of salt
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 3 ripe mangoes
- 3 Tbsp Coconut cream
- 1 Tbsp Rice Krispies
1) Soak the Rice overnight in water – or at least for three hours. Cover with a teatowel.
2) Put water in the bottom of the steamer and cover the steam section with a muslin cloth. Pour the rice on the cloth & cover with the lid and cook on medium to high heat. Once the rice is done it should have a translucent colour. Put in a bowl and set aside.
3) Heat up the coconut milk & sugar in a small pan and heat gently – stir continuously until the sugar has dissolved. Don’t boil! Add the salt and pour the mixture over the rice, stir and set to cool.
4) Peel the mangoes, discard the stones. Slice the mangoes lengthways in equally big slices.
5) Serve the rice & mango on a plate and pour over the coconut cream. Sprinkle Rice Krispies on top.